A smoothie tastes good: throw in a few of your favourite ingredients and you have a lovely tasty drink/snack. But some ingredients are better than others at certain times of the day or before/after activity.
- Bananas: I hope you like them! They make a perfect base for smoothies because they are nutritious, filling, add a bit of sweetness and texture.
- Yoghurt: Plain Greek is the best and will provide probiotics, calcium and protein. If you are lactose intolerant, substitute with soy yoghurt.
- Milk: Protein, calcium, fats and vitamin B12. If you can’t drink milk, try the nut or soy alternatives.
- Whey Protein Powder: An ideal way to get a quick punch of protein without having to eat a heavy meal or if you are in hurry with no time to cook. But take great care when choosing and go for low sugar/no additives with no more than 5 ingredients.
- Fats: Avocados, nuts and peanut butter are good choices, make great additions to smoothies and fats are good for you in small quantities.
- Greens & berries: Anti-oxidant powerhouses, full of vitamins and minerals and phytochemicals which are naturally occurring compounds thought to be largely responsible for protective health benefits beyond those conferred by their vitamin and mineral contents. Studies show that they may protect against cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes to name but a few. Also a very good way to get children to eat fruits and vegetables. Fresh or frozen – both are good.
Simply blend the following ingredients for the smoothie you need.
Breakfast on the run Smoothie
- A shot or two of espresso coffee
- 1 banana
- 3 or 4 dates (not on my list, but great in this recipe and providing fibre)
- 1 tablespoon of yoghurt and if the smoothie is too thick, add some milk too
- Sprinkle with crushed almonds and cinnamon
Consume between 30 and 60 minutes before you work out.
- ½ banana
- ½ avocado
- A handful of blueberries
- Almond or rice milk
Consume no later than an hour after physical activity.
- 1 scoop of whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- A handful of spinach
- 1 banana
- 5 large strawberries
- Coconut water to dilute to preferred consistency
- Crushed cashew nuts